[GRASS-dev] Backport sync: merge mess

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 8 14:13:16 PDT 2020

Hi Vaclav,

Thanks for your extensive explanations! Much appreciated.

I think that I have probably found the missing part: I should have
deleted the *entire* directory. By just deleting my fork and re-adding
it as a "remote" I probably still had all the clutter in my local
copy.

Today I have
- trashed the entire directory
- clones the repo
- deleted my fork and created it again
- added the fork as a "remote"

Magically (well, not really), it seems to be clean.

Might that be the explanation, that I didn't properly start from scratch?

It is true that git has a higher level of complexity compared to SVN
but I hope to be back on track now.

What might have happened:
- I cherry-picked while travelling and tried to push over very bad
network connection
- I modified the local copy without updating from repo beforehand,
then trying to push
- as you guessed, I probably cherry-picked, didn't commit due to my
network issues on the road, then other backports happened and I tried
to push on top of that

Question: would the (somewhere) existing backport bot help here?

thanks again for your support,
Markus