[GRASS-dev] packagers' guidance on inclusion of small dataset into the GRASS GIS installation

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 3 07:37:35 PDT 2020

On 8/3/20 4:16 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> I have a small question concerning the best way to include a very small
> dataset into the distribution of GRASS GIS. We are currently working on
> the revamping of the GRASS GIS GUI startup experience, and have the
> currently proposed solution is that GRASS GIS could start up
> automatically creating a grassdata database and a default lat-long
> location which would contain just a simple NaturalEarth world country
> boundaries dataset.
>
> In some OS (e.g. MS Windows), such a demolocation is included in the
> distribution, but in Debian it is deleted before installation (IIUC what
> happens in the rules file at [1]).
>
> IIRC, Debian does normally not allow data to be distributed with
> binaries. One option would be to put the data directly into the Python
> code creating this location. Would that be acceptable for Debian ? What
> kind of solution would you recommend ?

If the database can be built from source as part of the build process
e.g. like proj.db in PROJ, it can be included in the package (assuming
its license is DFSG compatible).

Where is "this location"?

If it's usr/lib/grassXY/demolocation, that's problematic because it's
not writable by unprivileged users. A subdirectory of $XDG_DATA_HOME
(e.g. $HOME/.local/share/grass) would be more suitable.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1