[GRASS-dev] new startup and data tab

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 12:13:55 PDT 2020

Dear devs,

I just compiled the grass gis master, which now opens directly, with the
data tab. As a (fairly) long time user of grass gis, it took me a few
seconds to get used to the idea ;-), but I am loving it!

Apart from the start up, I really like the more prominent place and
functionality of the data tab. I was already using it a lot, but e.g., the
icons really provide a neat extra touch. And for new users a nice visual
representation of the database structure. I

One small remark about the options to add an existing or create a new
database. I am not sure this is completely intuitive. Initially I thought
the button 'Add new grass database' button would be to create a new
database, and I was looking where to open an existing one. I found out
quick enough that one can use the button to add an existing database as
well, but perhaps wording the tooltip slightly different makes it more
apparent (e.g., ' Add existing or create new database' ).

When creating a new location, there is the option to change the database in
which to create the location. This requires one to select the grass
database folder. I wonder if it wouldn't be more intuitive and easier (from
a user point of view) if the user can simply select the database from a
list of 'connected' databases? Why would I want to create a location in a
database that is not in the list? And if it is in the list, having to
browse to the database folder feels like, well, something I would rather
not (being lazy and all).

Anyway, some feedback on some great improvements!

Cheers,

Paulo