[GRASS-dev] Axis-orientation in GRASS GIS

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Dec 2 13:43:12 PST 2020

Dear devs,

One of my colleagues is working on a GRASS module for parametrized viewsheds.
In that context she asked if the Y-axis in GRASS GIS (and in amongst other raster2numpy in particular) always refers to north-south direction/coordinates, even if the CRS of the location is one of the weird CRS that label north-south-direction as X-axis? Since I could not answer that question with full confidence I am forwarding it to this list.
Is it safe to assume that Y always refers to North-South in  GRASS GIS?
We are thankful for any clarification...

Cheers
Stefan