[GRASS-dev] Call for candidates for Chief Return Officer(s) to oversee election of new Project Steering Committee

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Dec 10 00:14:55 PST 2020

Dear all,

As part of the effort to guarantee a solid and sustainable governance of
GRASS GIS development, and in accordance with OSGeo guidelines, we have
a Project Steering Committee (PSC) [1]. Although most decisions are
taken by consensus via the mailing lists or via discussions in github
issues, some decisions go through this committee: annual budget,
admission of new developers into the core development team, and some
fundamental decisions (recent example: phasing out of a 32-bit version
for MS Windows).

The last election for this committee was in 2016 and at the time we
decided that the PSC should be renewed approximately every 3 years. We
are already beyond this time frame and so a new election should happen,
soon. The general outline of the procedure has been drafted [2].

The first step in that procedure is the nomination of one (or several)
Chief Return Officer(s) (CRO) who will oversee the election process and
who should not be a member of the current PSC, nor aim at becoming a
member of the new PSC.

Is anyone willing to play this role ? You can just respond directly here
on the list to display your interest.

In a second step, we will be looking for candidates for the new PSC. For
an overview of the (fairly low-noise) activity of the PSC, you can
browse through the archives of its public mailing list [3]. You will see
that it is not a job that requires a lot of work, but it is an essential
job nevertheless. Also: no need to be a developer to be part of the PSC,
users should also be represented.

On behalf of the current PSC,
Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC