[GRASS-dev] local install addons on Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 13:16:13 PST 2020

Hi Paulo,

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am looking for a way to easily install addons on Windows that are
> not in the official repository. This is currently not possible using
> g.extension, because addons cannot be compiled on Windows.
>
> But what if I would compile and package an addon in a zip file like
> the once on the official server, then the only thing that is required
> is that the g.extension can be directed to another url (online or
> local). Or is this too simplistic? If so, do you have any other
> pointers as to how I can share private addons?

g.extension already allows for another URL to be provided (including a
local ZIP file). However, the problem is that the compilation is not
possible on Windows as you pointed out. What is missing is the machinery to
do the compilation. For Python modules, it is just the make et al. For
C/C++, it is also the compiler and development files of the compile
dependencies/libraries. That's why on Linux, you typically need some
grass-dev(evel) package.

Of course, Python modules don't need much, so some custom code in Python
could take care of it. Some additional options are including the
compilation machinery in Windows installer or (re-)using an existing
package manager (which could perhaps even take care of the compiling C).

I hope this clarifies that a bit,
Vaclav