[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] no more gui after upgrade to buster

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jan 11 09:51:26 PST 2020

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 6:03 PM Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr> wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I've installed needed packages for garss 7.8 included python3-wxgtk4. libmaria does not exist but libmaria3
[...]
> Compile & install ok
>
> The gui is working.
>
> BUT my scripts does not work any more. See belows errors :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/grass78/gui/wxpython/gui_core/forms.py",
> line 2866, in ParseCommand
[...]
> name 'unicode' is not defined
>
> ----------------------------
>
> If I add # -*- coding:UTF-8 -*- on first line in /usr/local/grass78/etc/python/grass/lib/gis.py and /usr/local/grass78/etc/python/grass/lib/raster.py my scripts work !

Interesting!

> Is-it the good fix ??

It would follow:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/#defining-the-encoding

The file is generated by ctypesgen.py to wrap C, I am not sure how the
encoding could be added there.
Could you open a ticket here?
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass

with the information (+ the Locale you use, is it US or French or...?).

Best
Markus

PS: I have started a wiki entry here (please update):
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#GRASS_7_on_Debian_Buster