[GRASS-dev] WARNING: GRASS GIS libgis version and date number not available

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:01:04 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 9:26 PM Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> while starting
>
> --------------
> System Info

> GRASS version: 7.9.dev

> Code revision: 3a24c8c74

> Build date: 2020-01-18

> Build platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32

> GDAL: 3.0.2

> PROJ: 6.2.1

> GEOS: 3.8.0

> SQLite: 3.29.0

> Python: 3.7.0

> wxPython: 4.0.7

> Platform: Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 (OSGeo4W)
> --------------
>
> I get on the console:
>
> WARNING: GRASS GIS libgis version and date number not available

This warning comes from g.version

> maybe related to recent: 12839f: Update gisinit.c   etc.?

Yes. The reason is that GRASS GIS libgis version and date number are indeed
not available because they were taken from svn, but we are now on git.

Previously, libgis version (GIS_H_VERSION) and date ((GIS_H_DATE)
corresponded to the last change (in svn) to include/gis.h. With git, we
could get the last commit hash and date to include/ (last change to any of
the GRASS headers) with e.g. git log -1 -- include/

Proposals on how to add this to the git commit / GRASS configure / GRASS
make system are welcome.

> no addons are installed.

The reason for having this ibgis version and date of the last change is to
warn users if GRASS has been updated but addons have not been updated.
Without the check in gisinit.c, running addons might fail with obscure
errors, the reason being that they have been compiled against another
version of GRASS.

Markus M