[GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.8.3

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Mar 5 13:40:53 PST 2020

Martin Landa wrote
> Dear all,
>
> since 7.8.2 [1] has been released some time ago (Dec 11, 2019) we
> should start preparing new 7.8.3 point release.
>
> Devs, please check PR to be merged [2] and open issues [3] and tickets
> [4].
>
> Thanks for collaboration, Martin
>
> [1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/releases/tag/7.8.2
> [2]
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A7.8.3
> [3]
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A7.8.3
> [4]
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=status&milestone=7.8.3

any idea when OSGeo4W will switch to PROJ 7.0[1]?

citing from PROJ 7.0 News in [1]:

________
The main features of the RFC4
work is that PROJ now implements a new grid format, Geodetic TIFF grids,
for exchaning gridded transformation models. In addition to the new grid
format,
PROJ can now also access grids online using a data store in the cloud.

The grids that was previously available via the proj-datumgrid packages are
now
available in two places:

  1. The new PROJ-data package
  2. From the cloud via https://cdn.proj.org

The PROJ-data package includes all grids and other resources previously
tracked
by the proj-datumgrid series of packages as well as some new grids. All
grids in the
PROJ-data package have been converted to the new Geodetic Tiff Grid (GTG)
format introduced in PROJ with RFC4.
_______

it looks like the winGRASS standalone installer nsis script has to be
adapted and updated accordingly when the switch will happen. and it has to
be decided which of the new Geodetic Tiff Grids have to be/should be
included.

citing from [2]:

"#625: A proj-data package should be provided with proj-dev / PROJ 7: The
qgis weekly nsis installer will probably explode."

*exploding* due to the increasing file size of included PROJ related files.

I've opened already opened a github isse [3] to discuss this issue; AFAIK
nsis installers have file size limit ~2 GB; not sure our winGRASS users want
to download such big installer exe files ;-) ....

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2020-March/009437.html
[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/osgeo4w-dev/2020-March/003897.html
[3] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/395

-----