[GRASS-dev] [SOC] GSoC 2020 proposal

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 07:31:07 PDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:36 AM Vishavdeep Singh <vishava258 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear GRASS community,
>
> I am Vishavdeep, a undergraduate student of Dr. BR. Ambedkar University, Agra from India. I would like to work on a Seam integration of GRASS GIS and jupyter notebook. It is a very important topic and I remember, when I started with Python and jupyter notebook.

Welcome Vishavdeep! This is an important topic with high interest:

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2019-August/093053.html

> I have experience in Python, Jupiter notebook and bit in GRASS GIS. I am highly interested to work on this project.

Can you please specify your knowledge of these three in the proposal?

> I am sharing my proposal with you.
>
> Please give me suggestion and feedback
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s97VpUzoxbDgnytPiS_4RcJk3l9pLaUq2ig9Qf-uEB8/edit?usp=sharing

I have already started to comment on it and others may too.

An important piece what is currently missing in your application are
examples of your code. Ideally, we would like to see code you have written
so far (this would have to be a link to a public repository). And more
importantly, we need see how you can deal with coding in the area of the
GSoC project you are applying for (the "Test of skills" from the wiki
page). The suggested task for your topic is to write a test suite:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020#SeamlessintegrationofGRASSGISandJupyterNotebooks

However, you can pick also tasks from other ideas on that page or the
things mentioned in the Tips for students section:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020#Tipsforstudents

As another option on top that, for your project, it would be very relevant
to improve content in these two repositories:

https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/grass-zonal-of-solar

This is not limited by the Mar 31 deadline as you can continue working on
this during the evaluation period, but sooner the better of course as we
will start evaluating soon.

Best,
Vaclav