[GRASS-dev] New GUI startup discussion

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:51:35 PDT 2020

# Meeting minutes

* Discussion happened in two areas plans for GSoC 2020 [1] and general
direction and ideas for start of GRASS GIS through GUI with a special focus
on the first-time user.

## GSoC 2020

* GSoC 2020 will be following the incremental additions strategy improving
Location Wizard and Data Catalog (aka the Data tab or the Data tree), i.e.,
it is still roughly following the Prague Roamap [2] bringing immediate
improvements to all users.

## Prague Roadmap concerns and additions

* In Startup screen, selecting (and double-clicking) a raster map in a Data
tree should take user to the mapset which contains this raster and *show*
this raster.
* Projection database should be customizable using the same environmental
variable which is used by GDAL or PROJ (if there is any).
* Is double-clicking in the Data tree an obvious way of launching GRASS GIS
in a mapset? (Or is it show data for this mapset?)

## First-time users

* First-time user should not have to deal with a concept of mapset (only
addressed in the Location Wizard part of the roadmap).
* A demo location with some minimal data should be part of the installation
and copied to some default palace for the first-time user.

## Left for the next time

* Terminology (e.g., should we embrace the word project?)
* More detailed analysis of skipping the startup screen, starting in a
temporary or demo/world location, and just showing the Data tab instead of
the Startup screen.
* Exact behavior of workspace files, last used files, and last active
session.

We plan a next general video meeting like this one some time during the
summer.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/StartupWindow