[GRASS-dev] New GUI startup discussion
wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:51:35 PDT 2020
# Meeting minutes
* Discussion happened in two areas plans for GSoC 2020  and general
direction and ideas for start of GRASS GIS through GUI with a special focus
on the first-time user.
## GSoC 2020
* GSoC 2020 will be following the incremental additions strategy improving
Location Wizard and Data Catalog (aka the Data tab or the Data tree), i.e.,
it is still roughly following the Prague Roamap  bringing immediate
improvements to all users.
## Prague Roadmap concerns and additions
* In Startup screen, selecting (and double-clicking) a raster map in a Data
tree should take user to the mapset which contains this raster and *show*
* Projection database should be customizable using the same environmental
variable which is used by GDAL or PROJ (if there is any).
* Is double-clicking in the Data tree an obvious way of launching GRASS GIS
in a mapset? (Or is it show data for this mapset?)
## First-time users
* First-time user should not have to deal with a concept of mapset (only
addressed in the Location Wizard part of the roadmap).
* A demo location with some minimal data should be part of the installation
and copied to some default palace for the first-time user.
## Left for the next time
* Terminology (e.g., should we embrace the word project?)
* More detailed analysis of skipping the startup screen, starting in a
temporary or demo/world location, and just showing the Data tab instead of
the Startup screen.
* Exact behavior of workspace files, last used files, and last active
We plan a next general video meeting like this one some time during the
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 1:22 PM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> We will meet to discuss ideas for the new startup of GRASS GIS
> specifically using the GUI. The meeting will be a video call on Thursday
> starting at 18:00 UTC.
> This will be a great opportunity to welcome this year's GSoC student Linda
> Kladivova to our community. Linda will be working on GSoC project which is
> aiming to move the GUI startup screen to a next level. The GSoC project
> will be roughly following Proposal A3: Data tree and big buttons .
> During the call, we will discuss this proposal and how does it relate to
> greater ideas about starting GRASS GIS.
> The proposal A3 was developed based on painstaking discussion  at
> Community Sprint in Prague 2019 and is described in a detailed roadmap .
> I will send a link to the call here right before the meeting. We will use
>  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/StartupWindow
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the grass-dev