[GRASS-dev] How to install grass development package

Nicklas Larsson n_larsson at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 05:52:50 PDT 2020

Hi Ming,

The bundled mac distributions are normally pre-packaged with all dependencies needed, including python. In those cases it is difficult to change python version.

Again, if you need close integration to QGIS, the following may not answer to your needs:

A standard unix-like build of GRASS is python version independent, which means it is enough to set the environment variable GRASS_PYTHON to the python binary of choice (e.g. GRASS_PYTHON=/usr/local/bin/python3.8). This also works on mac. The problem on Mac is how to deal with dependencies. I personally make use of MacPorts for GRASS development and testing. I first install GRASS with MacPorts, then I have the dependencies I need in /opt/local, which can be used for configure, make and make install [1].

Alternatively, you can build your own GRASS.app with grass-conda [2] building script. You can duplicate the default/conda-requirements-dev.txt, set appropriate python version and use the new file as --conda-file.

/ Nicklas

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install
[2] https://github.com/nilason/grass-conda