[GRASS-dev] GSoC Week 8: Improved Integration of GRASS GIS and Jupyter Notebooks

Caitlin Haedrich caitlin.haedrich at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 16:33:23 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Here's a quick update on what I worked on this past week for my GSoC
project, "Improved Integration of GRASS GIS and Jupyter Notebooks." I came
down with a stomach bug this week and didn't get as much as I hoped done
but I did wrap up some things I'd been working on for a while. Per usual,
you can find more information on the wiki page [1].

1) What did I accomplish this week?

   - I had a brief meeting with my mentor, Vaclav Petras. We discussed some
   of the existing PR's I had open and goals for the rest of the summer.
   - Got rasters to display with folium (finally)! You can check out the
   functionality in Binder at [2] and see the PR at [3]. It takes a while to
   reproject the raster (folium only excepts rasters in Pseudo-mercator). As
   Stefan recommended, I'm hoping to write a "simple CRS" option that won't
   require reproject and will be faster. But that's for next week...
   - Merged shortcuts and temporary files for `GrassRenderer` ([4] and [5]).
   - Continued working on test script for `GrassRenderer`, the
   non-interactive display class [6].

2) What do I plan to do next week?

   - I have a meeting with my mentors planned for tomorrow
   - Add simple CRS option for raster display in folium
   - Edit and finish exiting PRs
   - Add option to save/export folium map as HTML

3) Am I blocked on anything?

   - No, I'm not currently blocked on anything.

Feedback, comments, questions and ideas welcome!

Hope you all had a great week,
Caitlin