[GRASS-dev] help with completing GRASS 8 new features wiki

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 9 14:46:34 PST 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 2:39 AM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For populating this page I usually use "git log":
> You could also use GitHub CLI to get merged PRs with milestone 8.0.0:

Ok, I have made a major "milestone" cleanup (some hours of stupid
work, so PLEASE all assign the milestone to their PRs!):

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pulls?q=is%3Apr+no%3Amilestone+is%3Aclosed
gives 0 at time, meaning that each PR has a milestone now assigned.

I went through 944 unlabeled PRs... :-D

> gh pr list --search "milestone:8.0.0" --state merged --limit 100
>
> This gives 93 PRs.

Now
- 19 open
- 827 closed

> Unfortunately, we also have PRs with no milestone which is 919 items:
>
> gh pr list --search "no:milestone" --state merged --limit 100

Now: "No pull requests match your search in OSGeo/grass" :-)

In my cleanup session,I have created the missing 7.x milestones in
GitHub and assigned the respective PRs to them. See here for the
closed 7.x milestones:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/milestones?direction=desc&sort=due_date&state=closed

(If anyone comes across a wrong assignment, please just fix it right
away by reassigning.)

Method: Due to the sheer amount of unlabeled PRs I used the
semi-heuristic approach of quick-reading the 944 PR titles and
(ideally) spotting those which I knew they don't belong to 8.x. In
addition, I checked the PR merge date and cross-checked that with the
list of release dates to figure out to which milestone they belong to,
then assigned them accordingly.

Overall, it looks much better now.

CHANGELOG creation:

Auto-generated changelog on command line (btw, how to sort the output via API?):

gh api repos/OSGeo/grass/releases/generate-notes -f tag_name="8.0.0"
-f target_commitish=releasebranch_8_0 -q .body

Alternative (in future use 8.0.0 tag which doesn't exist yet) in the browser:
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/compare/7.8.6...releasebranch_8_0

Cheers,
Markus

PS: PLEASE always assign a milestone to (new) PRs!