[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:24:57 PST 2021

A pity that Nicklas did not answer in this thread, see his answer in
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2021-February/094913.html

I have not studied the different C standards and the state of their
implementation in different compilers and their different versions in
depth, and thus appreciate very much the summary of Nicklas!

IIUC, Nicklas recommends to allow C11 standard features in GRASS C code,
with no need to change the current code base, and all compilers in all
supported platforms apparently support C11.

+1 from me, as long as all stock compilers on all supported platforms
support C11

Markus M

markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>:
> >On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:19 PM Moritz Lennert <
> >mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> >it
> >what

> >> If proj requires it, doesn't it automatically become a requirement for
> >GRASS as well ?
> >
> >No, because the code base of other libs might have completely different
> >compile requirements. A software can use functions and libs of other
> >software packages, but does not need to follow the compile standards of
> >those other software packages, because they are compiled independently.
> >

> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> In light of that I agree that we should choose the oldest standard
possible, unless we _really_ need something only present in a more recent
version.