[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 20:07:58 PST 2021

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:47 PM Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM Nicklas Larsson <n_larsson at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Well, I don’t have a very strong opinion regarding 3.7, but personally
>> I’d say 3.6 is an absolute minimum. I presume, for example, most of us
>> would prefer to use f-strings for string formatting.
>>

> yes, f-strings are nice although they have limitations for using with
> translatable strings (Vashek can expand on that)

Right, it is important to note that the f-strings are great for formatting
outputs and other strings in general, but don't work well with gettext. The
two following lines are not equivalent.

_("value: {a}").format(**locals())
_(f"value: {a}")

There are still valid use cases for f-strings in GRASS, but it won't be
messages.