[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021 Project - Sunveer Singh

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 19:47:24 PST 2021

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 8:15 AM Sunveer Singh <singhsunveer54 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am Sunveer Singh, I graduated from high school in 2021 and will start my
> undergraduate studies in Fall 2021 and have been accepted into a university
> so it makes me eligible to participate in GSoC this year.

Congratulations and welcome back!

> I found this following project and I would be happy to work on it this
> year:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017#Toolsforgeneratingunittestsfromexamplesinthemanual

This is indeed related to what you did before, so it is a hopeful choice.
However, there is an additional challenge now and that is a poor
integration of the testing framework with current technologies namely
pytest and GitHub Actions.

The choices I made when designing and implementing the framework are not as
advantageous as they seemed in 2014 (there was no 6 hours of runtime from
GitHub for free on every commit, NumPy and GDAL switched to pytest in 2018,
...). You can see the idea for this year here:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021#IntegratetestingframeworkwithGitHubActions

This is not to say that you can't propose/do the documentation-to-test
idea, but you will need to take into account the current state and needs as
well.

> I see that this project was skipped after 2017 and no one had worked on
> it, so I would like to work on this as it is totally of my interest and my
> skills. Will the mentors written on the page will be the same i.e Vaclav
> Petras and Soeren Gebbert?

I'm making this a call for mentors. I can comment on the integration into
the current code and the updates needed, but I would like some else to
bring ideas on how this would be useful from a power user perspective
and/or, from a development perspective, if documentation-to-test idea is
where our priorities are.

For your proposal, it would be good to have a clear idea on what it is you
are going to implement and how. You don't have to resolve that yourself.
You can discuss the ideas on the mailing list which would be also a way to
get more people interested in this idea.

As you probably know, besides preparing your proposal, you will need to do
some tasks to show you current coding skills. There are a couple of things
you can work on and obviously there is no upper limit. 1) Fixing broken
tests would be really good because it will take you through the current
interface of tests which can inform your proposal. 2) You can always add
new tests. Testing Python functions in addition to modules would be
relevant to the task at hand. 3) Taking code from abandoned PR #704, fixing
it and submitting a new PR is low hanging fruit, but interesting enough.

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/704

Best,
Vaclav