[GRASS-dev] Moving to Black for Python formatting

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:03:11 PST 2021

Dear all,

At this moment, we don't use an automatic formatter for Python code and we
have only limited enforcement of basic formatting rules. This is changing
as we are moving towards PEP8 formatting compliance and automatic Flake8
checks.

We need an automatic formatter and enforcement in the CI. There seems to be
a clear candidate for that and that is Black (The uncompromising code
formatter) which was already suggested in 2019:

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2019-May/092654.html

See details about how that applies to GRASS here:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/543

Here is a first PR (ready to be merged) which makes changes to content of
scripts and adds a automatic check:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1347

Best,
Vaclav