[GRASS-dev] Statement Māris Nartišs

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:30:00 PST 2021

Dear GRASS GIS community,
I am honoured to be nominated for the PSC.

I am a geographer (Dr.geog.) and self-taught programmer. My first
introduction to GRASS was around autumn of 2004 (5.x time). I remember
being fascinated by its 3D visualisation capabilities. I decided to
get to know GRASS better although the learning curve at that time was
really steep. Within recent years there has been a lot of work done to
make GRASS user friendly, especially for inexperienced users. This is
great as now getting started with GRASS requires little effort in
comparison to "good ol' days".

As a member of PSC I plan to keep an eye on meeting power user
requirements. We can not compete with QGIS (or a well known
proprietary GIS) in terms of man and financial power and thus main
focus of GRASS should be on its strengths – being a powerful and
versatile geospatial data analysis toolset. Any user-friendliness
improvements should not take away power from its power users.

As a native speaker of large language (Latvian with ~1M native
speakers), I am proud to have GRASS GIS in Latvian. As long as I will
be involved with GRASS, I plan to keep an eye on GRASS being any
language friendly.

Māris Nartišs.