[GRASS-dev] Should we use GitHub Discussions?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Jan 17 12:47:22 PST 2021

SBL wrote
> Dear all,
>
> In general, I do agree with Moritz on this.
>
> In addition to the risk of more fragmented communication, I do appreciate
> the fact that ML-discussion is archived. Furthermore, GitHub discussion
> seems to be a feature that locks us more into GitHub and would it make
> more complicated if we should be forced to move to another platform (given
> the proprietary nature of GitHub).
>
> I do also see that some discussion has moved to github issues/PRs, but
> that is probably only natural, esp. when point of the discussion is
> specifics of an implementation / change.
>
> However, to address both valid issues (demand for web-based forum and a
> coherent communication), we could probably to three things:
> 1. Encourage all contributors to discuss/mention more significant changes
> on the ML.
> 2. Promote nabble
> [http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Grass-Dev-f3991897.html] on our
> github repository
> 3. Check whether it would be feasible to sign up to nabble / ML with
> OAuth/github to make integration more seamless. I have no idea though if
> this would be feasible at all. Maybe OSGeo admins know?...
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

I agree here with Moritz and Stefan.

the already fragmented discussions on gh and MLs is hard to follow
sometimes. while answering user questions, the ML archive is a great and
easy to use tool for referencing to existing solutions/hints/etc.

Stefan mentions a potential lock to a proprietary system. see related the
recent discussions about a QT license change possibly affecting QGIS
(https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2021-January/062896.html).

-----
best regards
Helmut