[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 06:32:55 PST 2021

Nicklas,

Thanks for your suggestions. As far as I know, C code "is written in
portable ANSI-C and is fully POSIX compliant" [1] (C89 or C90?, rather old
standards, I know, but GRASS itself is old and predates both standards) and
the minimum "recommended" version of Python going forward is 3.5 [2]. I
don't know about C++, but there are not many modules written in it.
Modernizing the current code base to a newer C standard would be great
though.

Best,
Huidae

[1] https://old.grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/platforms/
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/REQUIREMENTS.html

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 4:28 AM Nicklas Larsson via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Dear Devs!
>
> As a relatively new member of the GRASS GIS dev community, I have had to
> search for information on mailing lists, old trac comments etc. regarding
> coding practice and in particular minimum programming language standard
> support. Ending up in not entirely conclusive understanding. Up until now,
> I have been mostly involved in Python development and I’m still not
> absolutely certain, although I assume 3.5 is minimum version. And I’m not
> alone, see e.g. [1].
>
> Now, I’ve encountered a similar dilemma with C standard support,
> attempting to address compiler warnings [2], in particular with the PR
> #1256 [3].
>
> I would be great if there were a (one) place where the min support of
> Python version, C (C89, C99, C11, C17…) and C++ (C++03, C++11, C++14 …)
> standard is stated -- loud and clear. Obviously, there has to be a
> consensus in the community on these matters for that to happen. Such a
> statement will also have to be revised now and then. (A related question is
> also whether or not to support 32 bit, which I know have been raised
> recently).
>
> I’d appreciate your opinion is on this issue!
> Let me put up a a suggestion for min. req. for coming GRASS GIS 8 as a
> starting point of discussion:
> - Python 3.7
> - C11
> - C++11
>

> Best regards,
> Nicklas
>

> [1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1241
> [2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1247
> [3] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1256

Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, /hidɛ t͡ɕo/, 조희대, 曺喜大
GRASS GIS Developer
https://idea.isnew.info