[GRASS-dev] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:13:23 PST 2021

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 5:20 PM Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
wrote:

> Am 29. Januar 2021 20:54:06 GMT+00:00 schrieb Markus Metz <
> markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>:
> >
> >For new PROJ
> >versions, C99 is a requirement.
>

> If proj requires it, doesn't it automatically become a requirement for
> GRASS as well ?

That's a good point. We have the same situation with GDAL. It requires
C++11 [1]. Although this may not set the requirement absolutely, it sets it
practically.

Additionally, increasing the minimum for C let's say to C17,  may allow
increasing the minimum for C++ because practically there is no compiler
which would support one and not the other, but that depends on the
particular combination.

In CI, I have set the GCC compilation tests only for C99 and above and
C++11 and above [2] (i.e., not requiring anything below that). However,
note that the C is GNU C, not ISO (which we currently don't conform to).
The "pedantic" keeping of the standard fails for both C and C++ (and thus
it is not currently checked in the CI).

[1] https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc68_cplusplus11.html
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/.github/workflows/gcc.yml#L11