[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Week 4: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 2 05:54:48 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 4 report (June 28 - July 2), you can also find it in
the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/
SingleWindowLayout#Week4
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week4).

1) What did I complete this week?
Similarly as the last week, I focused on the GUI refactoring. I worked on
the main refactoring PR (see [1]). In terms of the main Map Display I am
done here. However, me and my mentors realized that these changes influence
also other Map Frames - particularly g.gui.rdigit, d.mon, Map Swipe, Ground
Control Point and IClass frame.

There were two possible ways how to proceed. First, I started with the
statusbars for all the frames that we need newly to be created based on wx.
Statubar widget (see [2]​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689)). Then
we came up with another concept, namely delegating methods using
metaprogramming. Although this path seemed cheap at first (we talked about
it very intensively on videocall on Wednesday), after a few hours of
studying, we came to the conclusion that it is inappropriate in our case.
And this decision subsequently opened PR [2] again
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689).

Meantime, I also discovered the bug related to hiding statusbar and
toolbars. Hiding does not work properly for above-mentioned map frames as e.
g. Map Swipe. I set up the issue [3].

To sum it up, this week was not so productive in terms of code, but key in
determining what to do next and especially how.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
In the next step, the focus will be on the completion of PR ​https://github.
com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689), which
will then allow the completion of the large PR ​​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/1675(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675).

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it is not. However, as I have already mentioned I am on holiday from
Saturday to Tuesday.

I am looking forward to new energy coming after the rest. :-)

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)

[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689)