[GRASS-dev] GSoC Week 6: Improved Integration of GRASS GIS and Jupyter Notebooks

Caitlin Haedrich caitlin.haedrich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:08:14 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Here's a weekly update on my GSoC project, Improved Integration of GRASS
GIS and Jupyter Notebooks. You can find more details about the project on
the wiki page [1].

1) What did I accomplish this week?

   - This week, I had two meetings with my mentor, Vaclav Petras. We've
   been discussing how to improve my workflow, best practices and conventions
   for GRASS and Python and questions that come up as I'm working.
   - Instituted the use of temporary PNG files for displaying
   static/non-interactive maps [2] and temporary directories for passing
   vectors between GRASS and folium [3]
   - Continued to edit the InteractiveMap class and mapping GRASS vectors
   in folium PR [4]
   - Created a shortcut for calling GRASS display modules using __getattr__
   [5]
   - Completed evaluation and received feedback.

2) What do I plan to do next week?

   - I have another meeting planning with Vaclav tomorrow.
   - Finish and merge existing PRs
   - Continue writing test module for Non-Interactive Vectors
   - Support Raster display in folium map
   - Clean-up function

3) Am I blocked on anything?

   - No, I'm not currently blocked on anything.

Feedback, comments, questions and ideas welcome!

Best,
Caitlin