[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Week 8: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 30 09:14:06 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 8 report (July 26 - July 30). It can be also found at
the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/
SingleWindowLayout#Week
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week8)8
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week8).

1) What did I complete this week?

The success of this week lies in the merge of 2 PRs - the refactoring [1]
and the [2] dealing with the basic map panel integration to Single-Window
GUI. Just before that I had to make 2 rebases since my mentor Anna had
merged a different refactoring PR [3] which influenced PR [1] as well as
[4].

In the second half of the week I went back to the PR [4]. I integrated wx.
Panel to three remaining tools namely g.gui.photo2image
(http://g.gui.photo2image), g.gui.image2target, g.gui.example
(http://g.gui.image2target). I have also started to test this PR and written
down shorcomings we will discuss and probably fix with the help of my
mentors.

We had the video call on Wednesday where we went through possible options of
startup layout I put here: [5] and decided that the third option is the most
suitable one and thus will be implemented. We use "Perspectives" for this
purpose.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

The priorities for the next week are first of all to test PR [4], secondly
to create a startup Single-Window GUI perspective and lastly to develop
event handlers for map Aui.Notebook. For the second point I am going to
study the wx.lib.agw.aui concept of so-called perspectives.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, It is not.

[1] ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/16(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1689)89