[GRASS-dev] [release planning] Enable Zenodo before 7.8.6 and 8.0.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 20:33:01 PDT 2021

Hi Peter, all, thanks for the answers. I have more questions assuming
that's okay.

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 2:57 AM Peter Löwe <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> ==> the CodeMeta-Project is currenlty pushing software citation standards:
> https://codemeta.github.io/

Thanks. The roles there seem to be more clear. Any opinion on CodeMata
versus CFF (see also below)?

>> BTW, ways to retro-provide DOI versioning for previous GRASS releases
>> would be an rewarding topic to discuss with Data Cite (the DOI
>> infrastructure community).
>>

> Any opinions on how useful this is? We want a good archive of old
> versions, but does someone need DOIs for old releases?
>
> ==> This depends on wether the community wants to give due credit by
> citation to the persons which were involved in the previous releases.

Currently, the author list maintained in the source code is cumulative as
far as I know, so old authors are still included as authors, so only use
cases for that would be citing old releases in paper or by the new versions
of software software. None seem likely to me. What do you think?

> Any suggestions on includings DOI into source code? It seems to me that
> you can only use the generic/concept one and tell people to get the recent
> one. I didn't figure out the DOI reservation for GitHub repos.

Rather than where to put it - although that's important, too - my question
is about which DOI? The main one everywhere or somehow try to put there the
version specific one if that's even possible. It seems to me that the main
DOI is the only feasible option.

> ==> A JSON file could be included. This way, the information is both
> readable for humans and automated access:
> https://codemeta.github.io/codemeta-generator/

I was thinking about the Citation File Format as I have seen it used quite
a bit. Any opinions on that?