[GRASS-dev] GSoC Week 1: Improved Integration of Jupyter and GRASS

Caitlin Haedrich caitlin.haedrich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 09:24:58 PDT 2021

Hi Everyone,

With Week 1 wrapping up, here is a brief update on what I worked on this
week and where I'm headed next week. A more detailed update can be found on
the project wiki page [1].

*1. What did I accomplish during Week 1?*

   - Finish binder setup. The main GRASS branch now launches in Binder.
   - Added Binder Button to README.md which links to an Example Notebook
   (copied from [2]) in Jupyter Lab in Binder [3]. When users click the Binder
   Button, they will be directed to the example notebook where they can try
   GRASS.
   - Wrote draft of GRASS initiation functions for Jupyter [4].
   - Added Makefile and __init__.py file for grass.jupyter [4].
   - Created a Jupyter Notebook where others can view and test the
   grass.jupyter functions [4].

*2. What do you plan on doing next week?*
I plan to start working on display functions and familiarizing myself with
Folium.

*3. Are you blocked on anything?*
No, I'm not currently blocked on anything.

Discussion, feedback and comments welcome!

Best,
Caitlin

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/JupyterAndGRASS
[2] https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter