[GRASS-dev] r.external.out with MEM driver

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Jun 18 00:05:12 PDT 2021

Dear devs,

In an AddOn-project we are generating many small temporary maps that usually fit into memory all together without problems.
In order to avoid disk IO we tried to use r.external.out with format=MEM.
With the memory driver, maps are created and visible in the data catalog, but it is not possible to read them as there is no file stored in the directory specified in r.external.out.
Is it feasible to make it work, or should we consider it a known limitation?

Cheers
Stefan