[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-PSC] Min. req. of programming language standard support, GRASS GIS 8

Nicklas Larsson n_larsson at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 23:15:04 PST 2021

 Good, Anna, you brought up this question on regular update of Python version support. I deliberately left that part out of the draft for setting/updating language standards, as I would argue it deserves a RFC on its own.

A RFC should't be updatable, but may be overridden, partly or completely, with a new RFC. Adopting adherence to a new C or C++ standard will most likely be a quite rare business and should be dealt with a new RFC. The discussed approach, following the Python versions life-cycle, could possibly look a little different, however the forms and modes for this should be established likewise with a RFC.

If we agree now, to set Python 3.6 as a minimum, we have roughly six months to work out such a procedure. I’m glad to assist to this in, say around, October, in time for the 3.6 retirement.

Cheers,
Nicklas