[GRASS-dev] Management of signature files

Sajid Pareeth spareeth at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:56:11 PDT 2021

Hi Marias

Thanks for initiating this.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 8:44 AM Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hello list,
> > I have been working on moving automatic classification signature files
> > (ones used by i.maxlik and i.smap) out of imagery groups. Existing
> > approach was not flexible enough as there was no official way of how
> > to reuse signatures from one imagery group in another group (train on
> > one, classify many).
> >
> > #4 A variation of #3. Change signature storage to
> > "<MAPSET>/signatures/<signature file name>.<SIG_TYPE>" Pro: easy to
> > add to g.* tools with element syntax "<name>.<SIG_TYPE>(@<MAPSET>)".
> > Con: needs special handling in GUI (show items matching SIG_TYPE);
> > element syntax differs from other data elements.

I would prefer the #4 option as it will align with the rest of the data
handling using "g." modules.
It would be also nice to have an option to save the signature file to a
text file.

On a related topic, the final output from i.maxlik is added to the input
group by default. Can we also change this behaviour?

Regards

Sajid