[GRASS-dev] [release planning] Enable Zenodo before 7.8.6 and 8.0.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun May 23 19:08:06 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Let's enable the Zenodo link before 7.8.6 and 8.0(.0?) releases to get DOIs
and Zenodo records.

Solving the whole DOI linking and Zenodo archiving for the old versions may
be complex [1], but enabling the link between GitHub and Zenodo is trivial
(one click) and every newly created GitHub release (we do those) will be
automatically registered and receive DOI.

Zenodo uses a system of DOI versions and a main DOI (Concept DOI). Whether
it is an ideal system, that's a question, but it is currently the expected
one since it is the same for everything on Zenodo. It is used automatically
when using the GitHub-Zenodo integration.

It seems I have the permissions to enable it for GRASS GIS. The one who
enables that becomes a maintainer of it. I'm fine with that, but I won't be
uploading any older versions. The maintainer can be changed later by
contacting Zenodo support [2].

Although there are things to figure out in terms of next steps, I don't see
much risk in enabling it. There are no choices available in the setup or in
terms of alternatives. DOI and some kind of registration are expected more
and more.

Thoughts?

Vaclav

[1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GitHub-Zenodo_linkage