[GRASS-dev] [release planning] Enable Zenodo before 7.8.6 and 8.0.0

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon May 31 12:23:14 PDT 2021

Peter,

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 8:30 AM Peter Löwe <peter.loewe at gmx.de> wrote:

> The MOSS project minted its first DOI as a proof concept in the process of
> becoming a OSGeo heritage project (
> https://zenodo.org/record/4719685#.YKzpGKgzaUk). For this, we
> used stakeholders roles according to MARC21 like the R project does:
> https://journal.r-project.org/archive/2012-1/RJournal_2012-1_Hornik~et~al.pdf

Are there any good alternatives or more recent documents for that?

> BTW, ways to retro-provide DOI versioning for previous GRASS releases
> would be an rewarding topic to discuss with Data Cite (the DOI
> infrastructure community).

Any opinions on how useful this is? We want a good archive of old versions,
but does someone need DOIs for old releases?

> DOI for software versioning is is still a developing topic. Feedback from
> the GRASS community would be valuable to push this forward.

Right. Any suggestions on includings DOI into source code? It seems to me
that you can only use the generic/concept one and tell people to get the
recent one. I didn't figure out the DOI reservation for GitHub repos.

Vaclav