[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8.0 support in GDAL and QGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 25 00:57:19 PST 2022

On 2/25/22 08:33, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 7:24 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg
> <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>>> I vote yes. I think the reasons to do this are no longer valid. Doing it
>>> the standard way seems to me to be the best way forward. Any
>>> suggestions/PRs?
>>
>> Not using --prefix=/usr/lib will violate FHS, so not an option for the
>> Debian package.
>>
>> Are users of libgdal-grass expected to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH like the
>> grass executable does to find the grass libraries?
>
> In
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_install_GDAL-GRASS_plugin#Compilation_and_Installation_of_the_GDAL-GRASS_plugin
>
> the creation of a LD_LIBRARY_PATH file is suggested:
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/grass.conf

That violates the Debian policy, and triggers a lintian error:

"
  It is not okay to install libraries in a different directory and then
  modify the run-time link path. Shared libraries should go into
  /usr/lib. Alternatively, they can require binaries to set the RPATH to
  find the library.
"

  https://lintian.debian.org/tags/package-modifies-ld.so-search-path

Kind Regards,