[GRASS-dev] password security

Brad ReDacted brad.redacted at outlook.com
Mon Jul 25 20:38:29 PDT 2022

Hello GRASS devs,

Is there any objection to adding yet another dependency? Let me explain:

I want to resolve the security issue of storing passwords in clear text.
I would like to address this by linking OpenSSL and using it's crypto
functions to create a hash of the password to be stored and checked against.

Currently, GRASS logins are stored in clear text. I realize this isn't
an issue for GRASS users, however, I would still like to resolve the issue.

I hate adding dependencies, but security is best left to security
experts and I strongly advocate against duplicating security related code.

Any comments or suggestions?

--
Best Regards,
-Brad