[GRASS-dev] Fwd: RFC: New version numbering (PR #2357)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Jun 19 02:12:12 PDT 2022

Hi devs, all,

To avoid that this remains unnoticed by all those not following the
issues and pull requests in https://github.com/OSGeo/grass (note that
you can subscribe easily to get email notofications about issues and
pull requests where a lot of discussion happens nowadays!), here a
forward of the RFC for a new GRASS GIS version numbering system:

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:10 AM Vaclav Petras <notifications at github.com> wrote:

> This PR is a RFC for a new version numbering system. The main point is not making any distinction between even and odd version numbers. After 8.2.z, 8.3.0 would follow.
>
> Notably, this RFC does not follow the current RFC procedure (if any), but creates a PR as suggested in the past as a possible improvement of the procedure.

> You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:
>
>   https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2357

Importantly, after 8.2.z, 8.3.0 would follow (once the RFC is
accepted, we would change the "8.4.0" milestone label to "8.3.0").

Please see the RFC and comment as needed.

Markus