[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8.0 support in GDAL and QGIS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 23 13:08:52 PDT 2022

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg
<sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Now that 7.8.7 has been released, I started looking into updating the
> Debian package to 8.0.x which requires rebuilding libgdal-grass and qgis.
>
> Initial tests with libgdal-grass are not promising. Both gdalinfo and
> ogrinfo show errors because not all libraries are linked. We saw this
> too when 7.2 was released: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785
>
> The attached patch helps to some extent, but does not resolve all
> issues.

Did you propose the path to GDAL in GitHub yet?

> ogrinfo still shows errors:
>
> # ogrinfo -ro -so /tmp/spearfish60_grass7/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head
>
> Warning 1: GRASS warning: GISBASE environment variable was not set, using:
> /usr/lib/grass80
> /usr/lib/grass80/driver/db/sqlite: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgrass_dbmidriver.8.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> dbmi: Protocol error
> Warning 1: GRASS warning: Unable to start driver <sqlite>
> ERROR 1: Cannot open database sqlite by driver
> /tmp/spearfish60_grass7/PERMANENT/sqlite/sqlite.db, check if GISBASE
> environment variable is set, the driver is available  and the database
> is accessible.
> INFO: Open of `/tmp/spearfish60_grass7/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head'
>        using driver `OGR_GRASS' successful.
> 1: roads (Line String)
>
> The grass drivers lacks the RPATH that was set for ogr_GRASS:
>
> # objdump -x /usr/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so | egrep "NEEDED|RUNPATH"
>    NEEDED               libgrass_vector.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dig2.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dgl.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_rtree.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_linkm.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbmiclient.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbmibase.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbmidriver.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbstubs.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_raster.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_imagery.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_gproj.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_gmath.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_gis.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_datetime.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_btree2.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_ccmath.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgdal.so.30
>    NEEDED               libstdc++.so.6
>    NEEDED               libm.so.6
>    NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1
>    NEEDED               libc.so.6
>    RUNPATH              /usr/lib/grass80/lib
>
> # objdump -x /usr/lib/grass80/driver/db/sqlite | egrep "NEEDED|RUNPATH"
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbmidriver.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_dbmibase.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libgrass_gis.8.0.so
>    NEEDED               libsqlite3.so.0
>    NEEDED               libc.so.6

I just merged and backported
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2269

Perhaps that helps, too? It probably also solves this issue:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/47576

> Should we perhaps take this opportunity to move the grass libraries to
> default library search paths as raised on the debian-gis list?
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2021/12/msg00023.html

Others have answered positively, so the question is when to introduce
needed changes.

> Has any work been done testing and patching gdal-grass and qgis for
> GRASS 8 yet?

- I have successfully locally compiled the gdal-grass driver
- also added a COPR for Fedora RPMs:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/neteler/gdal-grass-plugin/
- Nyall and Sandro have patched QGIS to support GRASS GIS 8, some weeks ago

More tests are welcome.

Markus