[GRASS-dev] PSDriver

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:25:25 PDT 2022

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 at 15:43, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 8:35 AM Brad ReDacted <brad.redacted at outlook.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can someone tell me what spec the (enhanced) postscript driver
> > (lib/psdriver) adheres to? I am having difficulty looking up one of the
> > parameters (box erase, in particular - erase.c).
>
> Good question, the driver did not receive much attention in the last 15
> years:

I think it would be fair to just select whatever reasonable modern spec and
make it adhere to that, i.e., modernize. (Or just focus on Cairo, that's
another option.)

> and this ticket:
>
> Cairo and PS drivers display only one raster or vector for SVG and PS
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3033

That's definitely a major issue. Perhaps easier to solve for the PS driver.

Not really related to the PS driver, but related to reading images: A
doable feature seems to be adding raster image rendering to the Cairo
driver. It can read an existing image as a background to draw on, but we
are missing functions to draw raster images as overlays (something which
would be accessed using e.g. d.image or used for symbols).

Vaclav