[GRASSGUI] Re: wx.lib.floatcanvas and update

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 23 00:53:22 EDT 2006

I've been working on getting the wxPython prototype up and running to a
point where people can begin to really build on it. It's coming along, but
has a ways to go. But now since GRASS 6.2 and 6.3 are in the works, I need
to do some updates to the TclTk GUI.

I wanted to let you all know where I'm at with wxPython at the moment. I
don't like to put non-working code into the cvs. But if anyone wants to work
on this I can do it.

I moved the menu data object out of gism.py and into a separate module. This
works fine. It would probably be even better as an xml file, but I don't
know much about them from a coding standpoint. The new keywords could
perhaps be incorporated as a way to begin to automatically structure them.

I've refactored the code in gism.py and mapdisp.py to break it up into
separate classes, instead of a long list of functions. This broke the app,
of course, but is needed in the long run. I've got most of it put back
together. I'm currently stuck at how to switch different layer trees into
the layer page on the notebook when a map display is created or selected.

I've done a couple prototype options panels and got them bound to changesel
events in the layer tree. I'm building these as independent panels in
wxGlade. Right now they don't do anything except look good. But the event
handler stubs are there for each of the options widgets.

As best I can tell, the floating canvas could make a number of things easier
because it will so coordinate conversions, zooms, and pans automatically.
This just leaves it to us to do the GRASS-side rendering, cutting out a lot
of code.

Let me know if any of you want to work on any of this. I'll keep plugging
away.

Cheers,
Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity