[GRASSGUI] wxgrass: histogram and profile

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jun 4 15:13:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 11:55:01AM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> Thanks Markus. Some questions below.
>

> On 5/30/07 9:24 AM, "Markus Neteler" <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > (thanks for the alphabetical order!). Another report:
> >
> > # trying the histogram in LatLong, I get:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/home/neteler/grassaddons/gui/gui_modules/histogram.py", line 374, in
> > OnOptions
> >     menuform.GUI().parseCommand('d.histogram', gmpath,
> > AttributeError: GUI instance has no attribute 'parseCommand'
>
> AFAICT, this kind of error should affect all maps equally, regardless of
> whether they are latlon or not. Is this the case?
>
> If it is JUST latlon, then this is a bogus error that is masking what is
> really wrong and needs fixing.

AFAIK Martin has already fixed it.

> Does d.histogram work with latlon maps?

Yes.

> > # trying profile on the same map
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/home/neteler/grassaddons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 472, in
> > CreateProfile
> >     self.DrawPlot()
> >   File "/home/neteler/grassaddons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 492, in
> > DrawPlot
> >     legend=' '+self.plegend1)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> > line 224, in __init__
> >     PolyPoints.__init__(self, points, attr)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> > line 124, in __init__
> >     self._points = _Numeric.array(points).astype(_Numeric.Float64)
> > ValueError: matrices are not aligned for copy
> >

> > I get the profile error also on other maps.
> > Concerning the profile: It's not clear to me if I have to start with
> > the second icon from left. If so, it would be more intuitive to put
> > it to the left.
>
> Start with the one on the left and work your way to the right. This is a bit
> different from the TclTk version in that you draw the transect first. There
> are internal programming reasons for this.

Well, then it fails - doesn't find the map.

> Do you have numpy installed? Jachym reports that contrary to the docs, you
> need numpy and not just numeric or numarray. I've reported this to the
> wxPython bug tracker.

Yes, numpy is installed.

> Do you get the error if you draw the transect first?

I have to try again.

> > # concering distance measure:
> > I feel that the result in latlong is degree or so - could this be changed
> > to metric output (like d.measure does with G_begin_distance_calculations())?
>
> This is a very good idea. But how can we get distance in meters from the
> map? Anyone?

libgis offers such function (see d.histogram). Time to get the
SWIG interface working :)

Markus

> Michael
>

> > thanks
> > Markus

> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Markus Neteler  <neteler itc it>  http://mpa.itc.it/markus/
FBK-irst -  Centro per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica