[GRASSGUI] Re: managing layer and properties

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 19 14:25:20 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > If we go the metacontrol route, we only need one method in render.py--one
> > that will accept a fully formed command with all arguments. I already did
> > this in order to make a command layer work.
> >
> > The metacontrol would construct the fully formed command--based on user
> > selections in the properties (e.g., a r.colors command if changing the color
> > table), and send it on to render.py.
>
> I don't know enough of the internals to judge, but it sounds like this
> will make the code much more difficult to maintain, especially since it
> will require regular and significant manual interventions ? Intuitively,
> I would rather plead for Glynn's suggestion.

Apart from code maintenance issues, you're isolating the user from the
d.* commands. Someone who normally uses the GUI may have no idea how
to achieve the same results from the command line or in a script.

Also, if the custom raster and map layers contain useful functionality
which isn't available via d.rast, d.vect etc, that shouldn't be
reserved for GUI users, but should also be available from the command
line.

> P.S. Yes, everyone except William (unless you also go under "woklist at
> kyngchaos.com")

I'm fairly sure that's him.