[GRASSGUI] graphic overlays

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Mar 24 21:50:26 EDT 2007

This kind of negates the idea (I thought you were promoting too) of using
native GUI functions for all 'decorations'. It's not hard to add a layer
managers for d.grid, d.text, d.scalebar, etc. But it could clutter up the
main control more.

What if we could make it scriptable using wxPython graphic elements?

Michael

On 3/24/07 6:27 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I want to suggest that most or all graphic overlays be done via wxPython
>> rather than using GRASS d.* commands.
>>
>> These are: north arrow, scale, grid (and geodetic lines maybe), and text.
>> We¹ll need someone to design some nice (and GRASS distinctive) north arrows
>> and scales.
>>
>> I suggest that these be accessed through an item or items (popup checkbox
>> menu?) on the map display tool bar, rather than having them added as layers.
>> They should be able to be turned on and off of course, as well as being
>> positioned with a mouse (the latter will be much easier if they are wxPython
>> graphic objects). Each will need it¹s own dialog with options, but that
>> shouldn¹t be too difficult to do.
>>
>> Vector labels could go either way<as something done from the map display
>> tool bar or as an independent layer.
>>
>> Other opinions?
>
> I suggest that this is implemented in such a way that the user can
> easily choose to use the equivalent d.* commands instead, so that the
> display contents can be exported as a script which can be used outside
> of the GUI (i.e. with an X/PNG monitor).

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671