[GRASSGUI] Re: wxPython

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 26 00:36:57 EDT 2007

Brad,

I'm sorry for your confusion.

An error that says "module wx does not exist" means that you don't have
wxPython, it is not installed correctly, or there is a problem with your
PYTHONPATH variable.

I don't quite understand the other issue about the georectifier and more
generally about the GUI.

The 'georectifier' is a TclTk module that replaces i.points and i.points,
and integrates i.rectify, v.transform, and g.transform to georectify raster
and vector maps. It is available in the current TclTk GUI for GRASS.

TclTk has long been the platform used for GRASS's GUI. However, after
considerable discussion on the developer list last year, it was decided that
we would be best served by building the next generation GUI in another
platform.

This will take some time to develop of course. It is in a state that it can
now be tested, but it is not yet ready to replace the TclTk GUI. It may go
into the next version of GRASS 6 (>6.3) or into GRASS 7.

Glynn and others (including me) have referred to the next generation GUI
that we are developing. Some of this has been in discussion of the need for
any GRASS module to be able work without the need for an interactive x
terminal. This is essential for any GUI to be able to work efficiently with
GRASS--or for GRASS modules to be scriptable.

Let me know if I can help explain either the TclTk georectifying module or
the prototype wxPython gui.

Michael

On 3/25/07 7:56 PM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 14:21 -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
>> Brad,
>>
>> I updated the readme to provide some simple installation and startup
>> instructions.
>>
>> Put everything that is in gui into a new directory $GISBASE/etc/wx
>>
>> Move the script "wxgrass" into $GISBASE/scripts
>>
>> If you want to see the wxgrass startup when you start GRASS instead of the
>> TclTk screen, use the provided init.sh (you may have to edit the section
>> with LD_LIBRARY to match your original).
>>
>> Edit your .grassrc6 file to include the line...
>>
>> GRASS_GUI: wx
>>
>> If you just want to start the GUI from the command line (no startup screen
>> or location creation wizard), type "wxgrass&" to call the script.
>
> Okay, so I think I guessed right when I tried to figure it out myself.
> I copied every .py script in gui (including subdirs) to $GISBASE/etc/wx.
> I put wxgrass in $GISBASE/scripts.  I also tried using the Init.sh in
> gui, too.
>
> I still get the same error:
> Module wx does not exist.
>
>> There is no georectifier for wxPython yet. We're still building the basic
>> GUI and haven't added those bells and whistles.
>
> Okay...  Now I'm confused.  Glynn said he removed curses from the
> georectifyer, moving toward a GUI (I thought wxPython) method.
>
> I wish we'd just stick with a single GUI and drop the rest.  This is
> getting far too confusing for me.  I guess it doesn't help that he's
> been quite cryptic about the topic (or I'm asking poorly worded
> questions).
>
>> On 3/25/07 1:49 PM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Are there any instructions available for (manually) installing the
>>> wxPython code from grassaddons?  I thought I had installed it correctly,
>>> but I'm not able to start it up (error: Module wx does not exist).
>>>
>>> Do you have any suggestions for me?  Also, where is the georectifyer
>>> code?  The only thing I could find existed in menudata.py, IIRC.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213