[GRASSGUI] graphic overlays

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Mar 26 04:27:19 EDT 2007

On 25/03/07 20:13, Michael Barton wrote:
> So
> there are precedents. I agree that we always need to minimize dependencies
> as much as possible. But some are unavoidable, or at least highly desirable.

I my understanding, the issue is not about dependencies, but about
trying to avoid diverging development of two versions of GRASS: CLI and
GUI. If we start adding more and more features to the GUI which are not
available on the CLI, people might be obliged to use the GUI to access a
specific feature, just because it was easier to code this for the GUI
than for the CLI, and so noone bothered for the latter.

In my eyes, the GUI should be a convenience, not an obligation.

The examples you cited for justifying going directly through the GUI are
all doable in the modules directly. It is obvious that we are more
limited in developer power in C (although seeing the speed at which you
learned tcltk and python, I don't think it would take you very long to
get the gist of C ;-), but these are typically "small", well
circumscribed tasks which we can try to tackle through Google summers of
code, or even try to get institutions which use GRASS to contribute some
development financing for... It might not be as fast as doing it through
the GUI, but the final added value will be higher, IMHO.

Moritz