[GRASSGUI] standalone module use

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:45:36 EDT 2007

hi,

2007/3/28, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
>  Now, if I type a command (e.g., r.info) on the wxgrass command line (i.e.,
> at the bottom of the GIS Manager), nothing happens.

it works for me(?) revision 367

>  Looking at the changes to menuform, it looks like the idea is to add a new
> tab/page for command output.

[...]
>  Linux always has a terminal.
>
>  Mac can have a terminal, but doesn't usually.
>
>  Windows doesn't normally have a terminal.
>
>  I guess, I'd thought that we were including a place to type commands and
> get output built into wxgrass so that we didn't have to worry about using a
> terminal or not—especially because it is not a normal features of Mac and
> Windows platforms. That is, typing from a terminal outside of wxgrass is
> certainly OK, but should not be required.

If we want to move more towards the GUI world, we IMHO need some
module output place in our GUI too. AFAIK windows command line is hard
to use, because of you can not e.g. copy & paste text using Ctrl+c &
Ctrl+v, what is essential.

To your last sentence: I would add, that "typing from a terminal
outside of wxgrass" should not be _omitted_ too.

>  However, I think that output from grass commands run in the wxgrass GUI
> environment should always go to the same place, regardless of how they are
> launched. So that means that either the command output should go to a
> command output tab on each module dialog OR to the single command output
> window in the GIS Manager. It should not have to be directed to one place if
> the module is launched from one command line and another place if it is
> launched from another command line.

I added this new tab, which sould be created *only* if the module is
lounched from CLI. Currently, if you run r.info from command line, you
get TCL/TK formular with the "Output" tab and if you launch it from
gis.m, you get the same formular without it. I see no difference
here(?) I just tryed to reimplement something, what is allready there.

It makes IMHO sence to add this tab to module formular only when the
module is started and NO GIS manager with output window exists.

>  Having the module output show up IN the module notebook seems like a good
> idea. But IMHO, if we go that way, then the output from a module dialog
> should go there ALL the time. In that case, the only reason to have the
> command output window in the GIS Manager is for shell commands and GRASS
> commands run from the command line only (i.e., not from an autogenerated
> dialog). In that case, we might as well get rid of the small command line
> and turn the GIS Manager output window into a full Python terminal. This
> would then be available on all platforms, obviating the need for a terminal
> for GRASS. It will work the same and have access to the same abilities in
> all platforms, regardless of whether they normally have a terminal window or
> not.
>
>  What do you think?
>
>  Michael

Currently, I doubt, there is a way, how to build full featured
terminal using python. However, if this would be possible, I would
vote for it.

Hint:
http://www.wxpython.org/py.php

Jachym