[GRASSGUI] standalone module use

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 29 17:39:42 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07 1:45 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:

> I added this new tab, which sould be created *only* if the module is
> lounched from CLI. Currently, if you run r.info from command line, you
> get TCL/TK formular with the "Output" tab and if you launch it from
> gis.m, you get the same formular without it. I see no difference
> here(?) I just tryed to reimplement something, what is allready there.
>
> It makes IMHO sence to add this tab to module formular only when the
> module is started and NO GIS manager with output window exists.

This was only working if the module was launched from the menus. My change
(which could be improved on) makes it work when the module is launched from
the wxgrass command line (i.e., at the bottom of the GIS Manager window).

IMHO, a user should expect that the output from a command should return to
the control that ran the command. This is nicely consistent and helps users
know what where to look. So, output from a module run from a dialog
generated with menuform (i.e. dialog launched from the menus or from a
command called without arguments from the command line) should always go to
the output tab of the module dialog. Output from a module run (i.e., with
arguments) from the wxgrass command line should go to wxgrass output window.
Output from a module run (i.e., with arguments) from the terminal should go
to the terminal.

One possible exception would be the echoed d.* command launched from the GIS
Manager ultimately. This has its options set in the dialog generated by
menuform. However, pressing OK, makes this dialog disappear. If we want to
preserve the command for people to see and copy, we might want it to echo to
the GIS Manager output window.

Michael

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213