[GRASSGUI] wxgrass does not see wx on import

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat May 19 11:48:43 EDT 2007

We initially had a problem with the wxpython installation on FC6. Once we
manually moved the built binaries from the source folder to the
python/lib/site-packages (need to see where this is on your system), it was
fine. You can also alter your PYTHONPATH variable to find it in other
locations, but moving it to the "normal" location was the most successful.
Don't for get to move ALL the binary stuff that is built.

Wish I could be more specific about the files, but it was pretty obvious
when we looked at them. On my mac (here at home) it includes directories
wx-2.8-mac-ansi and wxaddons, along with files wx.pth,
wxaddons-2.8.1.1-py2.5.eg-info, wxPython_common-2.8.1.1-py2.5.egg-info, and
wxversion.py. I'm pretty sure that we used Python 2.4 on FC6.

Whichever Python version you use, you need to make sure you have the
wxPython version to match.

Michael

On 5/18/07 4:37 AM, "Brad Douglas" <rez at touchofmadness.com> wrote:

> I had similar problems after installing the RPMs I built, but I got a
> bit further until it complained about a specific 'widget'.  I traced it
> back to a requirement on python-2.5+ (that's how it appeared).  Please
> correct me if I'm wrong because I'd really like to get this working with
> GRASS[1].
>
> [1] I can't upgrade python without upgrading to an unstable development
> version of the OS due to massive dependencies.  Not something I want to
> do and still be able to build GRASS RPMs reliably.
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 14:26 +0700, Yann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> System: Debian unstable (from Kanotix originally)
>>
>> - installed wxgtk2.6, had a problem, wxgrass could not find wx.combo.
>>
>> - compiled from source wxpython2.8.0
>> (./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-combobox --with-gtk --with-gnomeprint
>> --with-opengl --enable-geometry --enable-display ;
>> make ; make install)
>>
>> - wxgrass does not find wx
>> GRASS 6.3.cvs (biwago):~ > wxgrass
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/wxgui.py", line 11, in ?
>>     import wx
>> ImportError: No module named wx
>>
>> Anybody can tell me the missing link to make the new wx visible to python?

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671