[GRASS-GUI] Re: [GRASSGUI] wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Mon Nov 26 17:00:19 EST 2007

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Markus Neteler <neteler at fbk.eu>
To: grass-gui at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [GRASS-GUI] Re: [GRASSGUI] wxgrass wishes: have 1
GUI window instead of many
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:48:49 -0800 (PST)

> Hi wxgrass developers,
>
> let me repeat my wish from earlier this year (which I
> share with many users, I get regularly asked about this):
>

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > - would it be possible to optionally merge the two
> >   main wxgrass windows into a single one? I have my
> >   screen all cluttered with windows - it would be
> >   way easier to have them in one. I ask optionally,
> >   since other folks may think differently
> >
> > Keep up the good work,
> > Markus
> >

> I am sure that there is a way to put the wxgrass windows
> into a single frame (legend left and map on the right or
> so).

IMVAO, this is the wrong approach. The clutter with wxgrass
and with the tcltk gis manager is the "command" window that
isn't really a command window. I've not used the wxgui since
it became function, but the command window is the tcltk
interface just wastes my desktop space because an xterm is
much more functional and useful. Hopefully the wxgui command
window is more useful, however in either case, it would be
much more reasonable to put the command window on a tab in
the main window. Putting the command line interface on one
tab and legend on another is natural as command line users
tend to avoid using gui's and vice versa. Further this sets
up a natural situation to what I had suggested some time ago
using a sockets interface to allow for full command line
control of the gui. Unfortunately, I was unable to bring
this to a functional state. In the long term, this is a much
better solution than linking the layers and legend settings
to the map window like ArcView, et al. The ESRI style
solution means duplication if you have multiple windows open
and loss of precious desktop real estate. In the short term,
one window could be dropped quite easily and once the xterm
is replaced by a truly interactive command window this would
cause loss of another window and be down to one main window
plus one per map.

FWIW that is my opinion, but as I have no time to code now,
or in the foreseeable future, I doubt it caries much weight.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com