[GRASS-GUI] GRASS GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 16 17:10:44 EST 2009

Michael Barton wrote:

> > Is there any need of changing GRASS GUI to a better one . i thought
> > of using
> > FOX C++ GUI. Its  cross-platform, easy to maintain and better look
> > and feel
> > than wxPython .
> >
> > Is there any issues for making a new GUI.
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you want to change from new wxPython GUI
> under development rather than contribute to it? I should also note
> that few GRASS developers feel comfortable with C++, so you might have
> difficulty maintaining a GUI based on this language.

Note that C++ is the preferred language for writing Python extension
modules. You can use C, but it tends to require more "boilerplate".

I think that it's more accurate to say that most developers prefer the
use of an interpreted language for the GUI, partly to ease user
customisation, partly to accelerate development.