[GRASS-PSC] Update: Translation Licensing in Rosetta

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 6 10:54:18 EST 2006

On 12/6/06 3:54 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> [ref: Web based translation platform]
>>
>> I was contacted by the Rosetta team yesterday with a followup
>> of their license issue (Copyright for translations created in
>> Rosetta/launchpad.net):
>>
>> Related mails:
>>  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/translations/2006-June/000212.html
>>  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/translations/2006-June/000214.html
>>  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/translations/2006-July/000224.html
>>
>> Their new proposal/offer is that translations would end up being
>> BSD licensed, and possibly reused in other projects hosted on
>> Launchpad.
>
> my take:
> "In effect BSD" because they can do what they like with it.
>
>> We now have to decide if this works for us in order to proceed with
>> Rosetta or not use it.
>>
>> Markus
>>
>> PS: Their legalese page is here: https://launchpad.net/legal/
>>     According to my browser it was modified last 05.12.2006, 14:50:41
>>     (the page is lacking the date, so I don't know if that's
>>     the new version. As it doesn't mention BSD, it is problably
>>     an interim version)
>
> [will someone from the Rosetta team be invited to join this thread, or
> will questions/results be filtered through Markus?]
> (it's a public list AFAI am concerned)
>

> First of all, I think Rosetta is a wonderful project and the world
> owes Canonical a debt of gratitude for it. It would be great if GRASS
> could be part of the action.
>

> but the devil's in the details....
>

> If I understand the legal bits at https://launchpad.net/legal/
>

> * All grass _("strings") remain (c) original contributor, GPL.
> This makes me happy.
>
> [If otherwise, my guess is it would be impossible to find+get 100%
>  authors of GPL strings to concur. (authors who didn't assign copyright
> or co-copyright to the G.Dev.Team)]
>

> * All _existing_ translated strings remain (c) original contributor, GPL.
> This makes me happy.
>
> But,
> "All translations imported from external sources are owned by the
> translator that made them. In general, these translations are licensed
> under the same terms as the software for which they are a translation."
>
> "In general," ?! They probably mean translations imported from external
> sources may have started with a different license than the upstream
> package itself, but I could figure a way to reinterpret that to mean
> something else entirely. Vagueness in legalspeak is Not Good.
> This makes me unhappy.
>

> * Strings translated on Rosetta become:
> # Copyright (c) (c) 2006 Canonical Ltd, and Rosetta Contributors 2006
>
> [two (c)(c)? is that super-copyrighted?]
>
> Then Ubuntu, Inc. can re-license as they see fit. (highly doubtful, but
> legal, example: they make a deal with Ubersoft to license them  for a
> zillion dollars to fund a corporate retreat to the moon. More likely
> [...]

This is a very helpful overview--and a good reason I'm not in the legal
profession. I very much like the idea in concept. I guess I have to agree
that the devil (or devel) is in the details. I read it much more
superficially than you did apparently. So I'm glad you've given it this much
thought.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213