[GRASS-PSC] Open issues regarding OSGeo Incubation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Mar 8 18:00:35 EST 2007

Hello,
please be kind on me, I am only trying to help. In case you don't know me,
I am OSGeo assigned GRASS incubation mentor and should coach you through
the process. If you want to learn more about me you can also get me off
list or on IRC #osgeo as seven.

My job is to:
    * advise the project on the incubation process
    * identify all documents the project must complete, and assisting
where practical
    * reviewing submitted documents
    * establishing the necessary infrastructure for the project under
incubation (wiki, web site, svn/cvs, mailing list) as required

If you wonder where I have been all the time, I was following what you did
and I liked it. So there was no reason to do anything (except to listen to
Markus' woes every now and then). And then - yes - I dreaded being eaten
alive by the GRASS anarcho mob [1]. Good that you have this list.

There are only a few steps to go through OSGeo incubation and it seems
like the one main process is stalled. I want to be as much assistance as I
can in getting this done but I will not touch anything, this is your baby.
I will just assist and be a pain in the ass if required. In the end you
ave to do it.

These are the open issues:

1)
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GRASS_Incubation_Progress#Community_Functioning
* "See RFC1 for a proposal.
* "Acceptance pending"

Could you please consider voting for RFC1 in a regular meeting or pick up
the discussion so that we can get through with this?

2)
Question: "Have project documents been updated to reflect membership in
the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the foundation? "

Answer: "Partially. This will occur once the GRASS Community approves the
incubation."

I will remove that answer and replace it with a clear Yes. If you don't
mind. Well, its a Wiki, so I already did that.

3)
There are 148 files as of 3/2007 left without reference to "General Public
License". Markus is already working on them. He will probably not need any
help from you.

When these issues are resolved I would like to propose GRASS for graduation.

If you have any qualms with this process, OSGeo, me or any combination
thereof, feel free to contact me.

I will report this to the OSGeo Incubation Committee now.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

[1] this is actually a reverence to the straight history of GRASS